BRAND NEW Kadron/EMPI/Brosol/Solex 40/44 Dual Carb Kit - Type 1
These dual carburetors have proven themselves to be the absolute best bang for your buck or almost 50 years now to improve performance and drivability of the stock VW engine. We challenge you to find a better horsepower-per-dollar-spent upgrade that can be bolted on to a Type 1 VW engine that will give you the same results. We at the Kaddie Shack love these carbs, and we're the recognized industry experts at tuning them and making them run at their very best. We can match them to any engine configuration.
Straight out of the box, they were designed to work very well with the 1600cc engine with stock exhaust, running 1971 quality leaded premium gasoline at sea level. Over the years, thousands of happy VW owners have installed them with excellent results.
We can make them work even better with a myriad of modifications, some of which are found on our website, some of which aren't, quite frankly because we don't share them. We have pioneered industry-leading improvements on these carburetors, and can make them run even better than new. We start with a BRAND NEW set of carburetors, in the box, jetted with 55 idle jets, 130 mains, and 150 air correction jets, coupled with 28mm venturis; just like they came with originally. These carbs are imported directly from Brazil from Brosol, the manufacturer of Solex carbs. They have 40mm throttle bodies, and larger ones are available as a configurable option. We can ship them "straight out of the box", or with our famous modifications to make them run even better.
We offer fast shipping and top-notch technical support, too! Check our website at KaddieShack.com for the latest video tutorials and free downloadable tuning and installation manual. On carb kits that we have not done our "Magic" to, we usually ship in 1-2 business days. For the kits with the "Magic", it takes a bit longer to prep them, usually 2-3 weeks.
Here are the options that we offer to make these run even better than they were ever designed to:
- “Kaddie Shack Magic” Special Mods Package: This modification package ensures your carbs are built for your specific engine and driving needs. We will disassemble this brand new set of carbs, and complete all the internal modifications and upgrades to make them run even better than new. We will re-center the butterflies, pre-adjust the accelerator pumps, modify and re-direct the pump discharge nozzles, re-machine the annular discharge boosters, modify the vacuum circuitry and plumb them for use with an SVDA distributor, should you elect to take advantage of the newer vacuum-assisted distributor technology for improved performance and mileage. We will also perform any other needed repairs or adjustments needed inside the carbs to bring them up to our unprecedented Kaddie Shack standards. We complete a full wet-test them before delivery, polish the exteriors to a show-quality finish, and install our stainless steel screw kit. In addition, we replace all internal gaskets and seals with USA-made components, including installing and upgraded needle and seat assembly. This ensures premium performance and serviceability for many years to come.
- Custom Venturi Sizing: Each and every engine has its own needs for venturi sizing. If you run a 1776cc, you'll need a different venturi than a 1600cc, which will be different than one for a 1914cc, etc. Venturi sizing may also need change with weight of vehicle, altitude, compression ratio, and intended use (such as specialty circle track racing, off-road hill climbing, developing torque in a in a bus, etc.). We can meet your needs with the correct venturi for your exact application. Venturis are available in 28mm through 36mm. Generally, we recommend 28mm with a 1600cc, 30mm with a mild 1679cc to 1835cc,, and 32mm with hot 1776cc's or mid-performance 1904, 1914, and very mild 1968cc's. For hot 19's, and most 2.0 liter+ engines, we recommend 44mm throttle bodies, with specially-machined 34mm+ venturis. For these applications, please contact us to discuss variables.
- Custom Jetting: Along with Venturi Sizing, proper jetting is essential to how your car performs, responds, and how good your mileage is. Kaddies are set up pretty close to stock 7:1-ish compression 1600 dual port with standard exhaust with a stock camshaft at sea level with 55/130 jets and 1971 gasoline. If you run at other conditions, or run with other options, you're likely to need help jetting to your specific needs. If you need help in selecting jets, we'll be happy to install our recommended jets for an additional charge, but will only do this if you need other than the standard 55/130 jets. I'm sorry but we do not give out our jetting size recommendations, as we have spent thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours testing and troubleshooting while researching our proven combinations.
- Re-bushed Throttle Bodies: Our throttle bodies are the best in the business. Even brand new Kadrons (really EMPI-imported Solex-Brosol now), can be somewhat loose and different from one set to another, even among a "matched" set of carbs. To be completely honest, we have found the newer sets are better now than they ever have been in the past, due to a re-design of the t-body bushings that the factory made to be more like our own. We, of course, test each throttle body for proper operation while doing our “magic”, and will not ship one that we are not satisfied with in any kit we build. However, we can guarantee the factory bushing job will never be as good as we do ours. If you'd like the optimum in performance and longevity, we can re-bush your new ones before we even send them out. Ours will provide a much better seal in the throttle body against vacuum leaks, which Kadrons and other Solex carburetors are notorious for. These vacuum leaks can cause all sorts of havoc, especially when running on the idle circuit.
- Dual Cam Linkage: USA-made dual cam heim joint linkage is the absolute best linkage you can buy for these carbs. The dual-arm design makes tuning a snap, and they stay synchronized once set. Truly, this is a "set it and forget it" linkage. Additionally, since they are not a ball-and-socket design, they won't pop off! If you want us to scrap the original style linkage, modify your linkage arms, and set your carbs up for use with this linkage, including pre-installing your spring-cams on your linkage arms, this is a HIGHLY RECOMMENDED option. It will save you hours of fiddling with your carburetors.
- Air Cleaner Type: We offer several different air cleaners in our carb sets. They come standard with a reusable gauze element that can be washed with a degreaser such as Simple Green and water, and treated with air cleaner oil. We actually use baby oil instead of the expensive oils on the market, and it have used it for years, even in rigorous off-road conditions. For those who would prefer a "Vintage" look, we offere several different powder-coated "Old School" air cleaners, which really dress up an engine bay. We also offer lower profile "Old School" air cleaners for our Ghia customers to clear the deck lid springs, and for Manx's and other applications where clearance is a problem. Some prefer our "Conical" style filters for the simple look they provide, too. To view the various different air cleaner options, check out our YouTube video HERE.
- Air Flow Improvement: We have designed and install our "Hi-Flo Kit", which moves the air cleaner bracket up and out of the carburetor throat for improved air flow and more power at high RPM's. We do not drill any goofy holes in your air cleaner lids, so your air cleaners can still be rotated to clear your fan shroud, body sheet metal, or roll cage. Our Hi-Flo Kits even come with EPDM rubber seals for improved sealing of your air cleaners, and are available in two different styles: Our Standard kit, or the Deluxe Off-Road Kit, which has a steel tube welded to the mount that extends into the float bowl and helps prevent fuel slosh during fast acceleration, hard cornering, off-road bumpy conditions, hill climbing, etc. Our Hi-Flo kits were featured in the March 2014 issue of Hot VW's Magazine and were dyno tested on that particular engine to make 8 MORE HORSEPOWER than with the stock air cleaner bracket. See dyno results here: http://kaddieshack.com/aircleanerdyno.html
- Velocity Stacks: For even better horsepower gains, we have aluminum velocity stacks available. They made 14 MORE HORSEPOWER than the stock air cleaner in the above mentioned dyno testing and article. These cannot be used inside air cleaners, but are used instead of them. For best protection from dirt and debris, we recommend running the vinyl filters. If this is a "fun" car and not expected to run 100,000+ miles, we have really cool dual-mesh DELUXE prefilters for them that not only look top-notch, but perform better than anything we know of that's currently on the market. That's why each of us has them on our own personal cars. Watch our YouTube Velocity Stacks video HERE.
- EZ-Adjust Mixture Screws: Some engine bays are super tight to work in. Bugs are notorious for this, and the earlier the car, the tighter it is in there. We have exclusive EZ-Adjust mixture screws available that make it super easy to adjust the mixture without tools. On engines with stock fan shrouds, the EZ-Adjust screw can only be added to the passenger's side. On engines equipped with 36HP style fan shrouds, you can use these in both sides, as there is additional clearance.
- Oil Breather Fitting Installation: Most prefer to run their oil breather from their generator stand into their air cleaner to burn their crankcase fumes. We can add a fitting in the bottom of the air cleaner base on the passenger's side to allow this to happen. For utmost scavenging of crankcase gasses, two oil breathers can be run; one on each side.
- Larger Throttle Bodies: We can supply you carbs with 44mm throttle bodies for even more flow than 40mm's for certain High Performance applications. This is only recommended for high performance motors.
- Single-Port Manifolds: Even though they are no longer available new, we offer refurbished two-piece original single port manifolds.
- Off-Road Prefilters: If you intend to use your carburetors in dusty conditions, we'd recommend adding pre-filters to keep the stock air cleaners clean.
- Racing Fuel Hard Line Kit: For ultimate safety, this Kaddie Shack USA-made kit eliminates all rubber lines in your engine bay with this stainless steel hard fuel line kit. Hard fuel line kits are required by most racing organizations, in order to improve driver safety. Besides this, it just looks really cool in an engine bay. An electric fuel pump must be used with running a hard line kit. We usually install the fuel pump (and regulator) up and under the fuel tank on Bugs, Ghias, Things, etc., and over the axle on a bus. Our YouTube tutorial regarding installation specifics can be viewed by clicking HERE.